Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Smile, Beautiful.

I have never understood people that feel the need to belittle others. People that find even the smallest weaknesses or flaws in others and feel the need to point them out. What makes them superior? What makes them feel perfect and gives them the right to hurt those around them? What do they get from it? Does it really bring them happiness?



It seems since becoming a mother, I am far more sensitive to these things than I used to be. Whether I'm the victim, or someone else, it affects me differently now. I hurt for others being treated this way. I hope and pray that my son won't have to feel that pain, or ever cause that kind of pain. Although, sadly, I'm sure one, or both, will happen at some point in time.

It seems technology has only helped the bullies of the world. They hide behind their phones and computers and say cruel, heartless things that they can never take back. Never once thinking of how they might affect the lives of others.



I'd wager we've all been affected by hurtful words at some point or another.  Maybe you've been criticized for your size or appearance. Maybe you've been made to feel worthless. Maybe you've worked so hard to meet expectations and feel like a failure when those aren't achieved. Maybe you don't feel beautiful enough because of photo shopped models or hurtful comments directed your way. Maybe someone has broken your heart and you can't imagine how you will ever feel whole again. Maybe you shy away due to a lack of confidence. Maybe you watch life go by from the sidelines because you worry about what others might think.  

They're lies. All of it.

You are perfect the way you are. You are strong. You are beautiful, no matter your size. Embrace your imperfections. Imperfections are what makes us unique. It's what makes us who we are. Be brave. Be confident. Smile through everything. Leave the sidelines and dance your life away. You are worth it. Worth everything and anything you can possibly ever want or dream of.



Don't let anyone ever tell you differently.



3 comments:

  1. Hell yes, girlfriend! In fact, my ex/ex (married him twice) husband told me, near the very end of the last time...that he would cheat on me if I didn't lose weight. I kid not! Now while I can appreciate wanting your spouse/S.O. to lose weight to get healthy....that? WHAT BULLSHIT. It was the final beginning of the end. Between us. Now, I'm almost 50 lbs. lighter this year, and my mom, husband, and I laugh about how HIS girlfriend seems to have found and packed on those 50 lbs. since Xmas, and perhaps a bit more. And inwardly, I know why. LIVING WITH HIM is the reason why. Been there, done that.

    I hate bullying. With the passion of a thousand burning suns.

    Teach your son peace and kindness. He might end up making an adolescent snarky comment or ten, but he will never be a bully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! I know what you mean too. My son is only two and already my heart aches at the thought of him going to school in a few years and possibly getting picked on. I hope he will have a much different school experience than I did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It took me a while to learn to love myself no matter if I am at goal weight or 70lbs from it. And even beyond weight loss, I've learned to love me imperfections and all. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...