Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Workout Wednesday - Tabata Workout

Tabata HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). Aw, how I love you. Short, challenging and effective. Dr. Tabata discovered this type of interval training provides greater results than any other aerobic training. Originally, this type of training was used only for hard-core athletes. In the past couple of years, it's become more mainstream and fairly common. (In large part to the rise of Crossfit, I'm sure).

So, how does it work? You push yourself as hard as you can for 20 seconds then rest for 10 seconds before moving on to the next exercise. The key to this is, you do as many reps as possible in that 20 seconds. Tabata is meant to leave you completely drained at the end. Once you finish a round, you can take a one minute rest before repeating, if needed.

Tabata is my go-to on busy days, such as tonight. This is on my schedule for tonight's workout:

 If the last set is not near impossible to get through, you aren't pushing yourself hard enough!

There are many interval training timer apps out there for free. I use the "Round and Workout Timer". You can customize the settings with number of rounds, time of exercise and time of rest.

An alarm will go off letting you know when it's time to rest and continue exercise. Love it!

-----

How is everyone doing on their week one mini challenge for #fit4christmas? Don't forget your squats! I ended up with some unexpected company last night, so I have to make up yesterday's today. Eeeek!


Don't forget to check back on Friday for Week 2's Mini Challenge!

4 comments:

  1. I have been loving the squat challenge. I have tacked them onto the end of my other workouts everyday. Yesterday that was at the end of Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred Level 3. I am definitely feeling them today :) I am do thankful for you coming up with the Fit4Christmas challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love tabata too! My bootcamp instructor introduced me to it and I've been working it into my workouts ever since. I'll be giving your tabata workout a try tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that tabata looks pretty intense. I think I am going to try it tomorrow

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...