Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Fail to Plan - Plan to Fail






You can make as many goal and wish lists as you'd like, but you will never accomplish them without a plan. Failing to plan is planning to fail. I lost sight of this simple statement over the past month.

In the past I had all my meals planned. There was never any question as to what was for lunch or dinner. My kitchen was stocked with healthy options: easy peasy. Then, life got stressful and I made it even  more stressful by forgetting to plan ahead. When you get home from a 9-10 hour day at work and realize you didn't thaw the chicken for dinner, odds are you're going to go for whatever is quick and convenient. That's exactly what I'd been doing.

It reminds me of the "If You Give A Mouse A Cookie" book. Please tell me you have read this book, otherwise you need to relive your childhood. Brad had never heard of it.. whaaat?! I digress...

If you give a mouse a cookie, he's going to want a glass of milk. If you are fueling your body properly, you're going to have a stronger desire to workout and vice versa. Right? I was stuck in this "eat like crap/feel like crap" viscous cycle.


Well, I'm breaking out of that. I've set my goals for Fit 4 Christmas, and am working on a plan to achieve them.

{ONE}

Stick to my workout plan. NO EXCUSES

I'm scheduling workouts 2 weeks at a time according to the weather man (which seems like a waste since he's usually wrong). I refuse to run in anything below 20°, thank you very much.

{TWO}

Meal plan. No fast food, no junk (well... until my small slice of pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving, because that WILL happen)

{THREE}

I want to be back to my lowest (168) by Thanksgiving.

{FOUR}

162 by the close of the challenge. That means I will have to hit a 2 lb loss a week through December, which isn't always easy at this point in the game. But, it's not impossible by any means. I want a challenging goal for those last few weeks to keep me in check on Thanksgiving and with all the holiday treats.

{FIVE}

Push myself, but don't be too hard on myself either. Positive self talk. I struggle with this... I think we all do at times.

I hope you all have some goals in mind for the challenge. Get specific and really challenge yourself. You want to lose weight? Okay, how many pounds by December 20th? You want to lift more or run further? Then how much? What are you going to do to achieve these goals?



exploring Domesticity


6 comments:

  1. I didn't read the "If You Give A Mouse A Cookie" series as a kid, but now that I am a teacher they are a crowd-favorite with my students :) Awesome that you are setting high goals for yourself, I'm excited to watch you reach/exceed them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm 135...I would like to be 128 by the end of the challenge; that's only 7 lbs. True, it's part of the 'last 10', but I still like to think I can do it, even with Thanksgiving in the mix. I will give it my all!

    And you are absolutely right about the value and necessity of planning! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to do a similar post today about my goals for fit4christmas. Thanks again for setting up this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I posted my goals and plans on how to execute them today! I'm so excited to see everyone's end result!
    www.onadailybasis.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't stress enough how true the "plan to fail" thing is! I've been a little off my game getting ready for our upcoming vacation a d that is completely the reason why. When I have things all planned out, I do great and I stick to it, but when things start to crumble it's like I can never recover fast enough. Thanks so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Greetings from Carolina! I'm bored to tears at work so
    I decided to browse your website on my iphone during lunch break.
    I really like the info you present here and can't wait
    to take a look when I get home. I'm shocked at how quick your blog loaded on my
    cell phone .. I'm not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyhow, fantastic blog!


    Here is my web-site - free home renovation

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...