Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Closet Shopping

I'm getting to the point in my weight-loss where I can go shopping in my own closet. There are clothes back in there I forgot I ever had, and never thought I would be able to wear again. Today, I am wearing a shirt that I haven't worn in about 4 years. I remember it well. It was post weight-loss #1 when I got a little too comfortable in maintenance and started putting some pounds back on.

The day I bought the shirt was a depressing fitting room experience. After months and months of hard work, it was the first item I had to buy back up a size. There were tears shed in the dressing room that day. I was back up to 160 from 145ish. It wasn't tragic, but I was angry with myself for allowing it to happen. This should have been my wake-up call to get my butt in gear. It wouldn't have taken much to lose pounds put on that fast, I know that now. Instead, I just gave up that day. That was the old me.

I pulled the all-telling shirt from the back of my closet this morning, remembering the weight I was when I bought it. It was snug back then, at 9 lbs less than I am now. I knew there was no possible way it would fit comfortably. What's the harm in just trying it on, right? I figured it would be a good gauge as to where I'm at in comparison. Amazingly, it fits better than it did back then. And I weigh more.


Yet another example that the scale "lies". Don't gauge your successes just by that number that flashes back at you. It doesn't know as much as we give it credit for. 

5 comments:

  1. So true, Tiffany! And I LOVE that look of beaming pride on your face!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the smile on your face! It completely busts through that fitting room experience. I especially like that now you have a rational thought process when it comes to a small weight gain set back. It really isn't the end of the world and you can TOTALLY come back from it. That was a huge issue I used to have too. I felt like I was a complete and utter failure if I had a weight gain. So then I'd have this give up mentality. That's what lead to regaining the weight I had lost at one time. Also, it's so great to see somebody truly appreciating the process. I've learned that you have to celebrate every single achievement you have. In the past when I'd lose weight I'd think to myself,"This is no big whoop. I've been waaay smaller than this before." That kind of attitude does not promote a good self image(which in return doesn't help in the weight loss process). Kudos for so many accomplishements both physically and mentally. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE shopping in my closet now! I do it about once a month, pull out a few things that didn't fit the month before and rejoice when they do! You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go! That smile is contagious! I love shopping in my closet for clothes I haven't been able to wear for a long time. My goal jeans are a pair of size 5's I wore on the first day of my senior year of high school, 6 years ago.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...