Thursday, October 3, 2013

Guest Post: Kristin @ Exploring Domesticity

Once upon a time, shortly before undergoing sinus surgery, I went on a very nasty antibiotic. If the devil was a pill, this would be it. I ended up in the hospital from the affects of it and I never wanted to relive that experience.

 Never say never...

The "never-ending-illness" has progressed and Doc has decided it's worth the risk of similar side-affects to try it again in hopes to prevent another round of pneumonia and guaranteed hospitalization. I tried to argue this decision, but he went to medical school - I did not. At the end of the day, I need to do what it takes to get better and be back at 100% for my family.

So, while I'm away, I've lined up some pretty amazing guest posts for you guys! Kristin @ Exploring Domesticity was so sweet to help me out. She co-hosts an awesome link-up on Tuesday's to share healthy living tips & tricks. Her blog is full of yummy recipes, crafts and inspiration! Go show her some love!

Thanks again, Kristin! 

-----------------








Hello all!  I'm Kristin, and I write over at Exploring Domesticity.  I write about my weight loss journey, host a Tips and Tricks Tuesday link party for healthy living advice, and share my foray into domestic life with things I’ve learned along the way.




I am so happy Tiffany is taking the time she needs to let herself get healthy.  I'm also completely
honored to write my first guest post for The Fit Train!


A little background about me.  I have struggled with my weight for as long as I can remember.


I have seemed to catch a bit of a break about every five years, due to growth spurts or life changes - considering I only have a few months left of 30, I may be breaking that streak this year. 


When I was 25 and in grad school I finally made the decision to get serious about becoming a happier and healthier person.  I joined weight watchers and lost 50 pounds that year.

After I returned home, I struggled to stay on track.  I married my husband in 2010, had one baby in 2011, and a second baby in 2012.  I found myself up 70-80 pounds and a good 50


pounds past my all-time heaviest weight.



When my daughter was 6 months old, I decided to get completely serious about making a healthy lifestyle and modeling healthy habits for my children.  That’s when I started blogging and I’ve managed to knock off about 40lbs, with another 40 to go.




I would contribute a lot of my success this time around to making mini goals.









It is so important to keep yourself successful so you don’t get discouraged.  Also if you set mini goals that are achievable, your sense of pride from accomplishing the goals will continue to
keep you motivated.


Instead of looking at the long-term goal only - because if this was all it took we would all be
skinny-minnies - focus on short-term goals. It is a lot easier to maintain self-control for a short period of time.

Place your focus on a small amount of weight loss and reward yourself.  I used

to make a small beaded bracelet for every three pounds lost.  I thought three pounds could be lost quickly enough that I would stay energized about the process.  Sometimes I made a bracelet after only one week, and sometimes it took two, but it really helped give me a visual reminder of the progress I was making.


Along with large goals and mini goals for weight loss, do the same for your habits.

Set food goals, fitness goals, health goals and break those down into smaller mini goals too.


Instead of saying, “I will never have sweets again!” Say, “I struggle with late night snacking, I’m going to chose a healthier snack until I feel I am able to phase it out without  cravings.” I went from a cup of M&Ms each night, to chocolate animal crackers, to soy or almond milk, to nothing most nights.


Do what is manageable for you right now, and help keep yourself successful so you don’t get discouraged. If you are able to recognize your success you will be more likely to stick with
it and keep pushing further!


How have you rewarded yourself for small changes?  Is there something special you do to visually see your success?


Be sure to pop over to
Exploring Domesticity and say “hi” sometime!











1 comment:

  1. Hope you feel better Tiffany!

    Great post Kristen!!! And you are right, small stuff should be rewarded just like the big stuff too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...