Friday, August 2, 2013

No Scale August

I can't believe I'm saying this... I've decided to join Amber for her "No Scale August" challenge.


Fear, sweats, insomnia,  nausea, anxiety attacks... To say I'm addicted to the scale is an understatement. This will be the challenge of all challenges. You've all heard me talk about my scale addiction in the past. It controls me far more than it should.

Amber's challenge comes at a perfect time for me. This past weekend Wyatt had been playing in my bedroom. It had been far too quiet in there, which is never a good sign when you have a two year old. I walked in to investigate and my stomach dropped. Wyatt was standing in front the mirror, shirt pulled up baring his belly, with my tape measure wrapped around him. Adorable? Yes. But it's really been bothering me.

I realize he is only two, and doesn't understand completely. He doesn't know why he was doing it, other than he was trying to be like mommy. It was a wake up call of sorts. I want Wyatt to grow up healthy; eat nutritious foods and be active. However, I do not want him to grow up obsessed with his appearance. He doesn't need to live by the scale and a stupid tape measure or let those numbers dictate his self-worth. If I don't pull that back a bit, I will be teaching him otherwise.

SparkPeople
 So, I'm going to embrace this challenge. As long as I work hard and eat clean, that number should take care of itself this month.

4 comments:

  1. Good luck! It really does cause us to dig deep and see how tied we are to the artificiality of a few ounces up or down. In my old life, scale meant culpability. Now that I'm firmly entrenched and committed to my paleo-with-dairy (/primal) lifestyle, not so much. I'm finding once a week or so is sufficient. We know what we need to do. The only time I might weigh myself mid week is after a restaurant meal that isn't a regular...to see if they are heavy-handed with the sodium. But now I usually request 'no added salt' when I order to help combat that.

    Like you said, you know what you need to do. You don't need a daily weigh-in to realize if you are succeeding at it or not. YOU GOT THIS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodluck! Me love scale looong time. I know I can go without(when the batteries died I went a whole two weeks) but really I'd rather have it. But I do think it is good to step away from the scale figuratively and literally. I would join this month but I had a goal set for the 6th of August that requires scale numbers. Perhaps after that date I can jump on board.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is going to be good for both of us! The scale has controlled us for far too long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like fun. How are you going to do the No-Scale August challenge? I'd like to join you.

    http://herweightlossdiary.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...