Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Zucchini, Black Bean and Rice Skillet

We have a new favorite recipe in our house. I've been trying to do at least one meatless dinner a week. I found this zucchini, black bean and rice skillet on Pinterest, of course, and we've had it a couple of times now. This weekend I swapped out white rice with brown, and used low sodium black beans to make it a bit healthier. Wyatt even eats it, which is shocking since it's full of veggies. This kid would live on sugar if I let him.



Zucchini, Black Bean and Rice Skillet

1 T Canola Oil
1 1/2 c quartered zucchini 
1/2 c diced green pepper
1 c black beans, drained and rinsed (I used low sodium)
1 can fire roasted tomato with garlic- not rinsed 
3/4 c water
1 c instant white rice - uncooked (I used brown rice)
1/2 c shredded cheese

Heat zucchini and green pepper with the oil for about 5 minutes. 
Add beans, tomatoes and water and bring to boil.
Add rice and stir well.Cover and remove from heat until water is absorbed. (It took about 10 minutes with the brown rice). Sprinkle cheese on top and enjoy!

It makes 4 servings at 276 calories if you follow the original recipe. I didn't calculate the calories for the changes I made, but it's slightly less. 


Let me leave you with this friendly warning:

Watch out, Wyatt the lion is on the loose! (He's super scary)










2 comments:

  1. We, asian people eat a lot of rice. This recipe will fit into our lunch or dinner. Pinned this!

    -Honeybee
    http://herweightlossdiary.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...