Monday, September 2, 2013

Motivation Monday - Super Hero 5K Recap

Grab a button and come link up with us for Motivation Monday!



------
This weekend I was able cross an item off my "bucket list" that has been there since I was a freshman in high school. I completed my first (with many more to come) 5K.


All proceeds from the Super Hero 5K went to an 8 year old little boy in town who is fighting cancer. There were participants of all shapes, sizes and ages. Over 170 runners/walkers were there to support this amazing kid. Including a few who are currently fighting cancer themselves. It was such a great group of people.

As we stood at the starting line, I found one girl just in front of me that appeared to be in much better shape than myself. I decided if I can keep her in view, that would be a good pacer. I followed her about 1/4 mile before realizing I could pick up the pace and started passing people. 



I was not prepared for the hills. I rarely run hills because I hate them. Hate. That's what mile 1 was - a giant, never ending hill. But I refused to walk and kept telling myself, "Just make it to mile 2." Mile 2 was shaded and downhill. The perfect mile. 



The third mile was straight, sunny and energetic. There were people all over cheering the runners on. I was able to sprint into the finish and completed it with an un-official time of 29.52 minutes! I'm hoping they post official times soon, but I was somewhere around #20-30 out of 170. Something that I never thought was possible. 


This experience has definitely helped me to find that "runner's high" everyone always talks about. The running community is so positive and encouraging. If you've been debating signing up for a 5K, regardless of your fitness level, just do it! I promise, you won't regret it. 









8 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you! That's amazing!

    I just saw your right sidebar pic. Wow, girl! You are looking great!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, Tiff! That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so great, girlie. I'm extremely proud of you and happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are awesome--- what an incredible time (for ANY 5K, let alone your first!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look so good! And you did such a great job! I'm a little nervous about my upcoming 5K but this was exactly what I needed! Way to go Lady!!!

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats!! You did it!! What an accomplishment! When you have wanted to do something for so long and you were able to do it that is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...