Monday, February 3, 2014

Motivation Monday - "Healthy Treats"



--------------

Seriously. I don't even understand what happened yesterday. Honestly, I thought it would be a close game with the Broncos coming out on top. As it turns out, the Broncos didn't even show up. It was just painful to watch, and I'm not even a fan of either team. Now that football is over, I can concentrate on my true love: Baseball!

-----------
Moving on... it's Motivation Monday and today's theme is Healthy Treats. 

Here's the deal - I'm a snacker. That is my biggest down fall. Mindless eating throughout the day. So, when I'm on track I try to avoid snacking and treats as much as possible. It just takes me down a slippery slope. When I feel I really need something in between meals, my fall backs are usually a boiled egg, slice of cheese or a little bit of fruit. I used to eat a lot of wheat thins as snacks, but I'm experimenting with cutting grains out. 

I'm going to get off topic for a quick minute. I've had some questions and negativity around my decision to cut the grains. I will go further into this in another week or so, but a quick Clif Note verson: For me personally, weight loss has nothing to do with me dipping into a Primal/Paleo lifestyle. Although, I won't complain about any lost pounds in the process. For me, this is all about my health. Trying alternative, natural ways to help my immune system and lupus before taking drastic pharmaceutical measures. (This coming from a girl with a pharmacist as a brother, ha!) It may help, it may not. But it definitely can't hurt and I feel it is best for me at list time... Okay, back on topic...

My sweet tooth really kicks in after dinner. What I've found works best for me in terms of eating a week's worth of calories before bed, is to workout before dinner. It pushes my dinner time back further, and I'm never overly hungry after a workout. If I feel that I absolutely have to have something, I love to slice an apple, sprinkle some cinnamon on top and microwave it for a bit. It cures my sweet craving without completely derailing my work. 

As I've mentioned before, I'm not a believer in "low fat/non fat" or making some crazy version of a brownie full of veggies etc... If I just can't get said brownie off the brain, I'll eat one and get right back on track. As long as it's not a brownie a day, or even a week, it's not going to derail your efforts. But, I know that we are all different and just do what works best for ourselves. 

What are your favorite healthy treats? What works best for YOU!?












4 comments:

  1. Yum, Ive never thought to microwave an apple :) Great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweetie, that's a major reason why I renamed my blog 'Against the Grain.' double entendre. Because going against grains is SO anti-establishment, that people won't respond well. Mockery, fear, disbelief...it's all in there. In some respects, that's the toughest thing about giving up grains...people's reaction to it. Well, they just need to get over it, because I (and thousands like us) aren't changing. ;) :: hugs ::

    ReplyDelete
  3. The evening is definitely when my sweet cravings kick it into high gear! For me, moderation is key and honestly thinking about WHY I'm eating. Am I hungry or is it a hormonal thing or emotional even? Understanding my motives behind eating helps me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. there's so many great Primal/Paleo/clean eating websites out there! I don't think going grainless is harmful at all, every person's body reacts differently to it. Whats wrong with eating just protein, veggies fruit and dairy? Its not like you are replacing weat with processed junk.

    http://whatadventuresawait.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...